Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Specifications
Qualcomm has unveiled their Snapdragon 865 processor, and today we will discuss what it is? and dig deeper into it and discuss all its specifications.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 is built on TSMC’s 7nm FinFET process. It offers a 25% performance boost and efficient over the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855.
Qualcomm Kryo 585 CPU
The Snapdragon 865 has got the Kryo 585 CPU design which is a set up of four Cortex-A77 and four Cortex-A55 cores.
- Prime Core- 1X Cortex-A77 @ 2.84 GHz / 512KB L2
- Big Cores- 3X Cortex-A77 @ 2.4 GHz / 256KB L2
- Little Cores- 4X Cortex-A55 @ 1.8 GHz / 128KB L2
The prime core with a higher frequency and 512KB L2 cache, so that when there is one kind of heavy single rated task going on this prime core can switch and deliver higher performance and, when more power is needed the other three Cortex-A77 comes into action and all the 4 Cortex-A77 cores will do that hard work. When there is a less kind of demanding task the four efficient Cortex-A55 cores running at 1.8 GHz will come into action to do he job.
There is a 4MB L3 cache that is shared amongst all eight CPU cores.
Read more about Memory Cache here:
Adreno 650 GPU
- Snapdragon 865 comes with an Adreno 650 GPU which has the same architecture as that of Adreno 640 and 630.
- Adreno 650 has a 25% overall performance boost and 35% more efficient as compared to Adreno 640 of Snapdragon 855.
- With Snapdragon 865, Qualcomm is now offering the ability to download new GPU drivers from the google play store. So, from now you don’t have to wait for the carrier or the OEM manufacturer, you can now download the GPU driver directly down from the google play store.
- The Adreno 650 GPU will support 144 hertz HDR 10+, qhd+ display. Qualcomm has integrated forward rendering in the new GPU which will lead to speed increase and better on-screen fidelity for the ultimate gaming experience for the user.
Qualcomm Artificial Intelligence Engine
- It has got 2X AI performance, and 4X tensor performance in the tensor processor in the DSP compared to Snapdragon 855.
- Qualcomm has boosted the machine learning capabilities of the Snapdragon 865, you have got 15 tops (Tera operations per second) inside of the AI engine.
- They have included a sensor hub which is an always On-sensor hub that runs on very very low power.
- There is an extension of the keyword activation hardware so that the device will listen to the keyword following the operation you want to perform using the low power mode.
Qualcomm Spectra 480 ISP (Image Signal Processor)
- The new ISP can process 2 Gigapixels of data per second, and process all the data with 16% more efficiency.
- The new Image signal processor has got 4K video capture @ 60fps, and at the same time you can take up to 64- megapixel photos while recording the video.
- It has also got 8K video recording @30fps, and an 8K decoder at 60fps to decode 8K content.
- It supports up to 200 megapixels of camera sensors. It can record a 4K video and apply portrait mode.
- It has got an unlimited (not limited to 5-10 seconds) 960fps slow-motion video recording at 720p.
Memory & 5G Modem
Talking about memory and Cache, this device will support
- LPDDR5 @ 2750 MHz
- [email protected] 2133 MHz
The next-generation LPDDR5 memory subsystem will give an overall performance boost to the device.
Snapdragon 865 does not have an internal modem, it is paired with an X55 external modem (outside of the chip). Basically it means that you will get 5G with every Snapdragon 865 device with millimeter-wave support and Sub-6 support and dynamic spectrum sharing.
Benchmarks and Performance Test:
Snapdragon 865 vs Snapdragon 855 vs Snapdragon 845
GeekBench 5 Test for CPU
Sling Shot Extreme (ES 3.1) Test for GPU
Antutu V8 Score (Overall Performance)
Source of data: Qualcomm
Also, read: Comparison of Top Mobile Processors