Samsung has launched its two new processors, Exynos 990 and Exynos 980. With the announcement of these two new processors, Samsung has shifted to a new naming scheme. We will talk about Exynos 990 Specifications and Exynos 990 Specifications and a brief comparison between Exynos 990 vs Exynos 980 vs Exynos 9825. So let’s start with the Exynos 990.
Exynos 990 vs Exynos 980 vs Exynos 9825
The Exynos 990 Specifications
- It comes in an octa-core CPU configuration, with 2X custom Samsung M5 CPU cores, two Arm Cortex A-76 cores, and 4X Arm Cortex A-55 cores. It is a 2+2+4 combination of cores which is similar to what you would find in Exynos 9820 and Exynos 9825.
- It comes with the Mali-G77 MP11 GPU, where eleven (11) signifies the number of cores or number of execution engines.
- It is based on 7nm EUV (extreme ultra by a light) process technology, same as the Exynos 9825.
- It comes with LPDDR5 (low power DDR) memory. Which will be giving you more throughput, and a higher clock rate. It will be a big boost in terms of overall system performance as we move from LPDDR4 to LPDDR5.
- It uses an NPU which you will also find on the Exynos 9820 and 9825, but the additional thing you will get is a DSP, a digital signal processor, which could also be used for some kind of neural networking, machine learning, and artificial intelligence to give an overall performance boost than the previous generation NPU.
- It does not come with a built-in cellular modem, Samsung will use an external modem which could be Samsung’s Exynos Modem 5123. Exynos Modem 5123 is a 5G modem.
- The Exynos Modem 5123 supports both millimeter-wave setup and sub-6 setup. It has got high bandwidths and high download speeds. It also supports 4G, 3G, and 2G. So if you get Exynos Modem 5123 as a pair, you basically get full 5G and 4G, and 3G i.e. a fully connected phone.
- Samsung is using an external modem for 5G because they are still working on integrating it on the processor.
- Samsung may equip the next series of Samsung Galaxy smartphone with this new processor (Exynos 990) as it is definitely an improvement over the Exynos 9825 in terms of performance specifications.
Read more about 5G technology
The Exynos 980 Specifications
- Instead of having custom cores, it has got all core from ARM, and this is 2+6 setup. 2X Cortex A-77 cores clocked at 2.2 GHz, and 6X Cortex A-55 cores clocked at 1.8 GHz which is a bit lower than the Exynos 990.
- In terms of GPU, this one is using the Mali-G76 MP5.
- It is baes on 8nm-FinFet process technology.
- It is using LPDDR4 memory.
- The different thing is that it has got a built-in 5G modem, it does not any external modem.
- It does not have millimeter-wave support, so it supports Sub-6 5G only. So this is not full 5G, but it can be called 5G because it uses a different way of encoding the signals but it has not got the full range of frequencies.
- It has got a built-in technology where it can combine the 5G and the 4G channels together and use them side by side.
Check out: Exynos 9825 vs Snapdragon 855 plus
Source of Data: Samsung